Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

After catching a few mice for the first time my cat has

Customer Question

After catching a few mice for the first time my cat has stopped eating her food causing her to lose a lot of weight. Is this a normal thing or is this something to be alarmed about.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your cat! Can you tell me how long the decreased appetite and weight loss has been going on? Is she having any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is she drinking water normally? or more or less water than usual?

Is she urinating normally?

Any accidents outside the litterbox?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The spell has been going on for atleast two weeks. She vommited once and realized she devoured a mouse. I would say water and food intake is at 10% what it normally is. Her litter box looks to be the same. No accidents. Nothing to report there. I do have to say that a new pet (dog) has been introduced into our family. But made sure that she has her own space to eat and use the litter box.
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Ok. An episode like this going on for two weeks is concerning that something serious is going on, particularly if she is losing weight rapidly. There are a number of possible causes. We could have something like a partial foreign body obstruction from the mouse. We also worry in an older cat with weight loss and decreased appetite about liver or kidney disease causing nausea and inappetance, we worry about diabetes (though we often see increased thirst and urination with this) as well, or issues with the gall bladder or pancreas.

I would highly recommend making an appointment with your vet ASAP for an exam, some bloodwork and an x-ray to evaluate her and look for an underlying cause of these symptoms. We do worry very much about cats who go too long without eating, as they can develop a problem called hepatic lipidosis (particularly in cats who may have been overweight starting out).

Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if my response came through and if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you are satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.
Hi Steve,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Steve Crothers. How is everything going?

Jess K