Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a ragdoll cat aged 3yrs who had always been a 'nervy'

Customer Question

Hi
I have a ragdoll cat aged 3yrs who had always been a 'nervy' cat. He had lost alot of fur on his hind legs and underneath. I first noticed it when I was getting ready to move so I'm wondering if he picked up on what was happening and this made him anxious. Can you provide some feedback please?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, absolutely Pepe will be aware that there are changes on the horizon. Cats are very sensitive and any changes at home or even in our own behavior/routines can set them off. And if he is nervy then stress overgrooming is a likely outlet for him.

Therefore, we need to try to help him cope and it is best to start before the move. To do so, we often will find de-stressing treatments can help reduce or potentially settle this behavior. Treatment options include Feliway, also known as Comfort Zone in the US pet stores, which is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve stress. This can be used as a spray or a plug-in diffuser. There is also a diet on the market called Calm by Royal Canin. This contains a number of supplements that have been found to provide stress relief to cats. As well, there are nutritional supplements like Kalmaid or Zylkene, that we often use to soothe anxious cats Some people have even found treats like Composure or Bach Flower Remedy to be helpful for settling kitty tension. And as these are not 'drugs', you can use any of these together to help settle his anxiety and reduce his need to overgroom.

Finally, since moving will be removing all that is familiar to him and essentially his kitty territory, I would suggest working with him and using Free Access Crate Training. It isn't actual training but is a way to get cats used to their carrier and to see it as a piece of their home turf that they can take with them. And this can reduce stress for our kitties quite a bit when we travel and when they are moving to an unfamiliar place. To read more about how to do this, I'd advise a read of this article (LINK@ http://www.mmilani.com/writing/articles/cats/feline-crate-training/).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi
Will Pete's fur grow back?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

As long as we can halt the overgrooming, it will regrow since it is not an issue with the hair/skin itself.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi R****me,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepe. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Everyying is going well. I no longer need help. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear all is well & I would be grateful if you could leave feedback for me so that the question can be closed. :)

Thank you,

Dr. B.