Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is about three years old. She is smallish but not too

Customer Question

My cat is about three years old. She is smallish but not too tiny, but has developed a pot belly. She is usually very active and was playing with me last night. This morning she did not come for a treat, the household tradition at 5:30 am. I found her in the living room hiding. I brought her upstairs where she hid squashed under a dresser. I took her out and places her on a blanket behind my desk while I worked all day. She did not move and has been listless, with her eyes closed or partially closed. I just brought her some tuna juice as recommended in a previous blog. She slowly got up and drank it all, which she did not do with the water bowl I have offered throughout the day. Now she is lying down again. She feels warm, but I dint really know if it is warmer than usual. She is one of three indoor cats. There was an indoor/outdoor cat who was a member of the household but he passed away in mid July We think he had a cyst behind his eye which was misdiagnosed and ultimately had an infection that he could not beat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Cecily
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cecily?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Cecily. If her pot belly represents an abdominal effusion, she's likely to be quite an ill cat. An effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity - always is a serious finding. The wet form of the FIP virus, right-sided heart failure, and a poorly functioning liver or kidneys are common causes of such an effusion. Cecily's vet will want to throughly examine Cecily and if fluid is confirmed to be present, tap a small amount of it for analysis of its cellular content and physical properties. Those findings will give her vet a good idea of the cause of the effusion and how Cecily might be helped.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.