Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She has an abscess on her side nees to know how to inject

Customer Question

She has an abscess on her side nees to know how to inject the penicillin she is 8 years old indoor outdoor cat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Missy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missy?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I have to say that it is not ideal to use injectable Penicillin in a cat. This is because they only take a very small dose but it is thick liquid to give, can be quite sore for them to have via injection and has to be done daily for 7-10 days. This is why vets will often give a single dose but then use oral tablets or longer acting antibiotics. In any case, in regards ***** ***** question, with Pencillin we give a dose of 6,000 i.u. per kilogram of the cat's of body weight daily and this is just given under the skin. To administer we just lift the scruff and insert the needle into the skin and then depress the plunger to administer. Again we need to do this daily for at least a week but if the abscess doesn't settle, then you may have a Pencillin resistant agent and bacterial culture to identify what is present and what it is vulnerable to would be indicated.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )