Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a cat she is about 6 or7 yrs old she is over-weight

Customer Question

i have a cat she is about 6 or7 yrs old she is over-weight she has been scratching alot lately. when i check under her fur there alot of these black seed like things on her .i gave her a bath with the dawn dish detergent with the little duck on it, after she dried in checked again and they seem to be gone but she still scratches alot. i didn"t see anything jump off her. now she has gotten into this routine where she no longer uses the kitty litter box but picks A spot in the living room
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: catty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about catty?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you using any flea prevention on Catty? If so, what? How often is it applied?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No but back in June of this year I used advantage or something like that because my granddaughter.s kitten had flees so I wasn't taking any chances

I think that would probably be the best route of action. It sounds like you are witnessing flea dirt on her and it will only continue without some flea prevention being applied. Fleas, and it sounds like she does have them although you're seeing only the after effects with itching and flea dirt, are best combated with flea prevention although baths can be a good intermediate step. Now that the bath is done, progressing to using flea prevention should be the next step. To help with the itching, you can also use the human OTC antihistamine Chlorpheniramine. You can give 1-4mg by mouth up to twice daily.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800