Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Have a Maybe 2 week old kitten eyes opened drinks and pees

Customer Question

have a Maybe 2 week old kitten eyes opened drinks and pees like a champ but has NEVER pooped! what do I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Rocky because he is such a fighter. he was found by my daughter he was hanging from a neighbors porch gutter. thought he was dead at first because he was so cold, for several nights we have had freezing temps when he was found
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: eyes open on sat. ears still folded, voice sounds like a cold today sneezing some coughing some shivers, had been kept warm NEVER has pooped pees like a champ
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 12 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Have you been stimulating him to urinate and defecate?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
that's how I can tell you he pees like a champ
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
took him to our VHS to show me how to feed him because he had apparently not nursed for a bit. that is like I said he is a fighter
Expert:  Dr. John replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for the information. First and foremost, may sure that he has a good size anal opening. Although extremely rare, it is possible to be born without an anus or a very small anal opening. If you are unsure, have your vet check it out. It may sound dumb, but make sure you are stimulating the anus after you stimulate the penis. Some people just stimulate around the penis and don't do the anus. A warm, wet cotton ball works best. With just being on a liquid diet, his stool should be soft to watery anyway, but you cannot rule out a fecal impaction from firmer stool. If the anal opening is normal, and you have been stimulating the anus, then your vet may need to confirm he has hard feces in his colon and given him a stool softener. Now, if you just found him the past couple days, chances are that he wasn't eating much before then and just wasn't producing a significant amount of stool. Since eating better, that will usually catch up. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Rocky is doing and to see if you have any further questions.