Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Glad you are online! YAY! How have you been? Anyways, my

Customer Question

glad you are online! YAY! How have you been?Anyways, my dogs got into a fight last night, and Mr. Potluck's ears got bitten, he is a cocker springer spaniel. I put Neosporin on it but I am afraid his long fur is going to become imbedded in the wound when it's healing and may cause an abscess or ingrown hair. So tonight I shaved part of his ears avoiding the wounds...but there is dried up blood and also the main wound is a small flap of skin that looks painful. I have Betadine but have read controversial things about it and wonder if I shoudl just throw more Neosporin on it and let it heal on its own of try to wash with Betadine or Hibiclens since I have some left over from my cat.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi Becky's mom! Lavaging the wound with Betadyne or Hebiclens is acceptable and you can the apply a thin film of Neosporin on (not in the wound) the wound edges. I can't tell the depth or extent of the wound in that pic but I suspect it will benefit from stitiches so let Potluck's vet take a look at it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Potluck. How is everything going?