Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has had a persistent hacking type cough for 1 week,

Customer Question

Hello, my cat has had a persistent hacking type cough for 1 week, typically 3-4 times per day for a few minutes at a time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: She is somewhere around 17-18 so obviously quite elderly, but she is pretty active for her age. She has been acting normally other than the cough (still eating, cleaning herself, drinking water, etc.)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does she spend any time outside?

Any sneezing or nasal/eye discharge?

Has she been boarded or around other cats recently?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Dr. John. She is strictly an indoor cat, I have not noticed any nasal/eye discharge or sneezing, just a kind of hacking cough. We thought it may have been a bad hairball but the fact that she hasn't coughed one up in the past week makes me think maybe it is not. Although, it does seem like she'll try hacking something up and then almost chew/swallow afterwards. She has not been boarded but is around our other cat all the time, but they have lived together for over a year. I do have a video of her coughing that is too large to attach, but I would send to you over email if you would like to see it.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Coughing in cats can be caused by a few things. Asthma is a major one and can occur with chronic lung irritation over time. It doesn't sound like that to me, but it is possible. Other concerns would be heart problems, heart worm disease (even in indoor only cats), lung worms (less likely with indoor only), pulmonary hypertension (usually secondary to something else), upper respiratory infection, tracheal problem and lung tumors. Unfortunately, it is hard to distinguish without getting x-rays of the chest and possibly running blood work . I would have your vet at least check some chest x-rays to make sure nothing more serious is going on. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Luna is doing and to see if you have any further questions.