Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I just got a new adult cat, very fearful and timid. She is

Customer Question

I just got a new adult cat, very fearful and timid. She is secluded in a bedroom, separated from my 2 other adult cats. My new cat has not eaten anything for over 36 hours. Should I be worried?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Will the vet contact me?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She is very shy and scared. She is hiding under the bed, and will not come out from under the bed. I don't think she has taken any water or food.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this is a common situation for our nervous new kitties. Still, we do need to try to help her cope with her new surroundings and break her fast before she causes herself harm (since cats off food for days can develop liver issues). With this in mind, it would be worth making sure she has easy access to a range of foods and water/cat milk/low salt chicken broth. If she doesn't want to come out from under the bed, then we'd want to put food under as well so that she can reach it. Of course, we'd need to closely monitor each day if she is taking some to ensure she is eating. If we get over 2-3 days without eating then we'd need to think about a check up for her to make sure there is nothing more ongoing that is putting off her food and that we need to address.

Otherwise, to help her cope with stress, we can try an OTC de-stressing treatment. Often we will use Feliway, (also known as Comfort Zone in the pet stores) which is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve stress. This can be used as a spray or a plug-in diffuser. There are also nutritional supplements available from the vets (ie Kalmaid or Zylkene) that we often use to soothe anxious cats. And some people have found success with the homeopathic treatments Bach Flower Remedy for pets. Any of these can be used in combination to help settle stress and at least get her eating for us as she adjusts to her new home.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She started drinking and eating. I havn't seen her do either, but I'v been checking her litter box. She has been peeing since Wed., and pooped some time on Wed. night. I'm a lot less worried about her now. Her former owner told me she mainly likes kibble, so I got her Kit and Kaboodle, her favorite brand. I don't mind if she stays under the bed as long as she is eating and drinking. Thanks for your reply.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that despite being stealth she is eating, drinking, and passing urine/feces. That is the key here and from this point we just want to make sure she has easy access to these resources and give her time to feel brave enough to start interacting with you and the family.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.