Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 5 month-old adopted kitten has diarehia. I've just had

Customer Question

My 5 month-old adopted kitten has diarehia. I've just had her a week and have not changed her diet that she was on when adopted. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 18 days ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
1 - no
2 = no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 18 days ago.

Lois, I am sorry Kami has diarrhea. In response to your question, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I am going to make some recommendations that you can try. But, would also strongly recommend having your family veterinarian do a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.
Hi Lois,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kami. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter