Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has had loose stools. Little bouts of liquid with a

Customer Question

My cat has had loose stools. Little bouts of liquid with a little blood in them. However she is acting normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: BEANIE, 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about beanie?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

What color is the stool?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The color of the stool is light brown/mustard brown? She's had loose stool for a while now. But always acts normal. I didn't notice any tensing when I was touching her belly.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not with her now. So I can't say about her gums. Her nose has remained cold and wet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's possible she could of ate something?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. If we are seeing blood after a longer term history of loose stool, this tells us that her colon is becoming inflamed from this and a secondary colitis is developing. That said, triggers for the loose stool itself would be possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, IBD, Gi cancer, and ingestion of harmful items (less likely if this has been ongoing for a while).

With this all in mind, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and formed stool. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin, 0.25tsp Metamucil mixed into canned food) can be added to firm the stools quicker. And an OTC feline probiotic (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be used to support the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

As well, if she is very runny and the blood is only scant, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Avoid Pepto Bismol, Imodium, or products with salicylic acid as these aren’t cat friendly. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but its sounds like Beanie has a primary GI issue that is now causing a colitis. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her gut. If she doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable antibiotics and further symptomatic care to get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much. I worry very much about her and I just want her to feel better. I saw she was drinking water last night and she hopped in the bath tub to drink water. I just don't want her to die :(
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

This doesn't sound like a fatal condition, else I'd be suggesting an urgent visit to her vet. Instead, this just sounds colitis secondary to one of those other concerns. So, we can try the above to soothe her but plan a check up if those loose stools persist.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care,

Dr. B.