Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat throws up her food. Sometimes with hairballs and

Customer Question

My cat throws up her food. Sometimes with hairballs and sometimes not. She is alert and wants to eat, but throws up anything she eats. She is not restless.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just her regular food.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Duplo and she is 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duplo?
Customer: No I don't think so.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you seeing hairballs with each vomit?

2) Any changes in her food or diet? any human food? new treats? new flavor of food?

3) What steps are you taking to prevent the hairballs, if any?

4) How long has this persistent vomiting gone on?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hair balls in some of the vomit. No human food. I have given her a food that is suppose reduce hairballs, but she has been on it for some time. Treats have been the same. It has gone on for awhile. She is fixed and a fairly small cat. She is a house cat, so doesn't go outside.

If she is unable to hold anything down, she needs to be examined and some diagnostics performed to see if there is a cause or if there is a problem, such as a partial blockage from fur. To help with this in general, consider brushing her daily with a furminator and then a zoom groom brush. This will remove any coat to be shed. Additionally, you can also give hairball remedy, such as laxatone up to once daily to help hairballs move through the GI tract. Definitely keep up with the hairball food.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800