Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat is 13. He was sleeping then got up and had something

Customer Question

My cat is 13. He was sleeping then got up and had something like an epilectic fit. His teeth were clenched very tightly and I forced them open to make him breathe better. This lasted about 4 minutes. He then got up and walked fine and went into the kitchen and ate. Was this a small stroke?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Big Boy has had this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If he is more or less acting normally at present and he stays that way overnight then there is nothing to be gained by rushing him to an ER vet right now, under these circumstances it would be better to wait to see your regular vet tomorrow.

2. Clearly Big Boy has had some kind of neurological episode, of course there is now way of knowing via the internet, but yes you would consider very minor strokes, even brain tumours, meningitis and toxins of various sorts. On the plus side I have known cats have such episodes and then no clear diagnosis was reached but the cat then went on to have a normal life and no further fits occurred. But this is speculation, best have him checked over tomorrow.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.