Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 13 year old tabby's tail seem to be shrinking. Is that

Customer Question

My 13 year old tabby's tail seem to be shrinking. Is that normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the tabby's name?
Customer: Duchess
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duchess?
Customer: 13 year old short hair tabby. She's at least 3lbs. She's currently deaf and has problems walking. What I'm most concern at the moment is her tail shrinkage
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There's no wound. she has a cyst ball on her hind leg but its not doing any harm to Duchess. She just becomes irritated whenever anyone tries to touch it. She's also de-clawed
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Duchess. Despite the seeming shrinking of her tail, is she still eating well? Does she seem lighter (losing weight)? Is she still able to move it normally?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

She's eating well, she seems to be light weight than usual, and despite some wobbling here and there she's able to move around quite frequently. She's very active for her age.

Thank you for answering those questions. Physically a tail can't get shorter as far as length unless it is injured in a way or surgically shortened. As far as the physical size of the tail, if a cat is losing weight, they can lose the fat at the base of the tail and it can make it look smaller. They can sometimes have thinning of the fur which can make it look less full. It is good that she's eating well. With her age, if she is losing weight, the best thing to do is to have your vet run some blood work on her to screen her for hyperthyroidism, diabetes and early renal insufficiency. These things if found earlier can be managed better.