Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our cat is 13. we were told he has begining stage of kidney

Customer Question

our cat is 13 . we were told he has begining stage of kidney failure, has been on prescription food for about 6 months. we also have the vet give him subcutanious fluids aprox. every 6 weeks. last night he started with bad diarrhea. he gets so upset when we drive to the vet that i am letting him rest now,as he did get much last night. what can you suggest.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bear. we bottle fed him as he was abandoned at birth.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: he was treated with radioactive idoine a couple of years ago due to hyperactive thyroid
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Have there been any changes in his diet? new food? new treats? human food?

2) Has the diarrhea improved at all since starting?

3) How is his appetite?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no human food; he ate 3 or 4 treats at 3am(whiskas temptations chicken flavor ) ; appetite seems ok, he ate a little at 8 am but then had diarrhea . he is resting now as he is on an electric blanket

Typically diarrhea will clear on its own within a few hours of onset. If it does not, I would recommend an exam especially given his condition. If he stresses too much in the car, the best thing to do would be to have a mobile vet come visit him in your home and treat his symptoms. With the kidney failure, we must be careful about what medications are used as we certainly don't want to worsen his condition.

If you need help finding a mobile vet in your area, please let me know. I will need your city, state and zipcode.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800