Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We got our cat from R.s.p.a. but she was a stray,she has

Customer Question

we got our cat from R.s.p.a. but she was a stray,she has settled in very well but after 3 months we cannot pick her up to put her in her encloser or to take her to the vet and she will still run and hide if i walk around with my shoes on can you help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the stray cat have a fall?
Customer: not that we know
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: misty it was adopted by someone else but they took her back to the R.S.P.A.we need to take her for her injections 30th of november.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about 30th of november?
Customer: no, we were able to give her the flea treatment
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for giving Misty a home.

You can train her to go into a cat carrier, but it will take a few days to week or so. Get your carrier, open it and put a bed and some food in it, and just leave it in the house with the door open. Start with her food just inside the door, and when she starts to eat it, gradually move it farther to the back. Do not move the carrier; leave it in the same place.

If the carrier just sits there and becomes part of the household furniture, and that is where her food is, she will start going in and out of it. When you want to take her to the vet, leave her without food overnight, put the food in the carrier in the morning and when she goes in you just close the door. When you come back from the veteirnarian, do not put the carrier away; keep it out with the door open. She may be afraid of it for awhile, but most cats will start to use the carrier as a den or a bed if it is there all the time.

If she is a naturally fearful cat, there is not much you can do to change her basic personality. Someone may have kicked her and that is why she is fearful of you when you wear shoes. That may gradually improve with time, but if she learned to survive by hiding when she was young, it may not really change. You could try anti anxiety medication from your veterinarian and that might help.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer.