Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I just came home from work and my cat is either pooping or

Customer Question

I just came home from work and my cat is either pooping or peeing straight blood. I can't find a vet that's open today and I don't know what to di
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sam and she turned 1 in July
JA: How old is Sam?
Customer: 16 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Sam?
Customer: Her diet has been very poor. Hardly eating anything
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 15 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Any vomiting?

Can you share pictures of the blood? Where was this found?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Some vomiting but not much. I did save the blood
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can't figure out how to send it on this. It apparently made it my profile picture
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay. Sorry. I'm just very scared
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She isn't eating very much or drinking. That has been going on for almost a week now. Then last night the blood started. Now I'm very worried

Because there is vomiting, I am going to assume this is probably from the stool. Males are also more prone to urinary issues than females, but there's no way to be 100% certain this isn't urinary. Have you had any luck searching for an ER clinic in your area?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not one that is open today
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What should I do for her until I can get her in?

Do you mind if I help you look? If you will share your city, state and zipcode, I'll be happy to look, as well.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Loves Park Illinois 61111

This ER clinic appears to be 15 minutes from your location: http://www.aecrockford.com

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I tried them earlier. Everyone is closed on Sundays. Do you think she will be okay until I get off work tomorrow night?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
what should I do for her until then?

I just got off of the phone with them. They are open straight through until tomorrow morning. There is a doctor on staff ready and able to see your companion this evening. They do request a phone call before heading that direction.

If you elect not to have her seen, I would administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800