Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is losing his hair on his legs and on his belly. No,

Customer Question

My cat is losing his hair on his legs and on his belly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: No
JA: The veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: My cat is walking fine I check to see if has any injury nothing is showing up.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry you are worried about your cat's hair loss. If you look closely, is the hair on the legs and belly thin, with short broken hairs, or does he have totally smooth, hairless, bald areas?

If he is losing hair, he would be smooth and bald. If he is grooming excessively (which usually occurs when you are not watching him) he would have short broken hair. Most of the time cats are losing hair in these areas, it is because they are grooming excessively. This can be caused by an allergic reaction to fleas (and don't discount fleas if you don't see any; the reaction can be to one or two fleas which the cat swallows while grooming), to food, or to other things in the environment.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 18 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard from you! Let me know what other questions I can answer.