Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Im concerned about my 2. 5yr old cat. I've been away

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: im concerned about my 2. 5yr old cat. I've been away overnight and when I got home my cat who is normally very energetic was lying down and wouldn't get up to greet me (very unusual). I finally coaxed her up and she was very wobbly on her feet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: she isn't eating or drinking, it has been a very hot couple of days. I've been forcing water in her mouth. She is predominately inside cat however she does get outside but only in a contained courtyard.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
As the night has gone on she has become unable to walk and appeared to have a seizure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 20 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has she ever had a seizure before?

Any chance she could have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
She hasn't ever had a seizure before. She has no symptoms ie. vomiting, diarrhoea or drooling. She has just had another seizure and peed herself. She does eat bugs/moths if they come inside but she hasn't been vomiting. My house mate has just come home and said that she was in a similar state last night.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
She also has laboured breathing
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
She also has dilated pupils - could it be a tick?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 20 days ago.

Oh dear,

Now if she has had 2 seizures in that short space of time (and possibly more before), we will be limited with what can be done at home. It is likely that the severe activity of the seizures and associated effects on the brain are causing the wobbliness and increased respiration you are seeing. And given her age and normal health, we'd be worried about a toxicity or possible head trauma. We can also see seizures due to brain disease (ie masses, infections, parasitic infections, etc) and tick borne disease but these sound less likely for her situation if she is an indoor cat for the most part. The same with these being secondary to underlying systemic or organ issues.

With this in mind and since we need to halt these seizures for her, I have to say that we'd be best to have her to her vet now. We'd want them to check for toxins and ticks, perform a neurological exam, potentially check bloods, and we'd want them to start or at least dispense anti-seizure medication to get her settled. Depending on their findings she may just need medical treatment or an MRI may be needed to determine if we have a brain based issue that needs to be treated. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.