Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She is vomiting whole food back up. No she has done this in

Customer Question

She is vomiting whole food back up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No she has done this in the past and we stopped feeding her wet food and stuck to dry. It went away and now she is doing it with her dry food.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Gresa 2years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Gresa?
Customer: No she's pretty healthy
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No gagging, no diarrhea, she is always drinking water but she has always been that way. It just bothers me because it comes and goes. Could it be acid reflux?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also it seems to happen right after she eats, randomly but always immediately after eating.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that Gresa hasn't those other signs I asked about. Now it isn't clear how long this has been an issue for her. If it has been long term, acid reflux is a concern but we could also see this at her age due to soft foreign bodies caught in the stomach (hair ties and string are common feline ones), hairballs, low grade bacterial gut infections or parasites. As well, if she drinks a lot and always had, then we'd have to keep in mind a chance of systemic or organ issues (ie liver or kidney compromise, diabetes, etc) causing secondary nausea.

With this all in mind, we can try some supportive care for Gresa. To counter nausea and any chance of acid reflux, you can try her with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

We could also try a light diet given as a small meals. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet. And just to counter intermittent issues from a hairball or foreign body, you can add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin or 0.25tsp Metamucil mixed into canned food) +/-OTC cat hairball treatment mixed into her food to push those through.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing with Gresa. As this sounds chronic, acid reflux and those other differentials would be a concern. Therefore, we'd want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she doesn’t respond to the above within a few days; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her to make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there while also ruling our those other concerns. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-medication, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to settle this for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.
Hi Amanda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.