Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My cat has scabs at the roots of her fur. What should I do

Customer Question

My cat has scabs at the roots of her fur. What should I do to treat it?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 17 days ago.

HI this is Dr. Hill, Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK

I need to ask a few questions. Are the scabs generalized or focal? If focal, where are they on her body? What food is Peekaboo on and how long has she been eating this diet? You said it is not fleas. Have you checked her with a flea comb? What type of flea collar and when was it applied?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She is getting scabs at the base of her fur. I groom her, but they keep coming back.

So generalized, all over her body?

what are you using to bathe her?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I've seen them mainly around her neck and back area. She is very picky and grooms herself well.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have not bathed her. Normally, she is very clean from her grooming habits.

Okay. thank you. That pattern is suggestive of fleas. Most cats will not show many fleas on their skin unless they are grossly infested, because they do groom themselves meticulously. The other possibility is allergies to the food she is eating. What type of food and how long has she been eating it? Does she go outside?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She is mainly a house cat, but she does go outside, also. My dog doesn't have fleas. I don't think that is it. It's more like scabs, rather than bites.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I fumigated the house with insecticide and I haven't seen any fleas on the cat or my dog.

Okay. What food is she eating and how long has she been on this diet?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Well, I take it that you think it is fleas. I will get her a flea collar and see what happens. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The roots have a kind of scab to them and the fur comes out easily. I've never seen it in a cat before.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Also, I did put a flea collar on her and recently fumigated the house.

From what you are describing the hair is coming out in clumps with the scab at the base. It is likely allergies, but usually they are also showing signs of being very pruritic. I would bathe her with a medicated shampoo. Chlorihexidene based veterinary shampoos work the best. Also, look at Seresto collars for fleas. They are the best on the market and last for 8 months. You can get them on Amazon or Chewy.com for $45 usually. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a few days, even after rating my response. Definitely look at any new foods you have added in the last two months. Food allergies are not as common in cats as dogs, but do happen. Take care

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 14 days ago.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peekaboo. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill