Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Is it safe to give a cat a steroid shot and a rabies shot at

Customer Question

Is it safe to give a cat a steroid shot and a rabies shot at the same time. And if not why not.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: tigger 16-1/2 years old I had him at the vet today they rabies vaccinated him along with a steroid shot which I believe should not have been done at the same time. the cat dropped dead less than an hour
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about tigger?
Customer: he also had a tumor on him gums which the vet's did not perform a biopsy yet My concern right now is Was that good judgement to give a steroid shot and a rabies shot at the same time From what I understand and from what I've ready vet's should never give those to vaccinations at the same time. What are the facts about giving those two vaccinations at the same time
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, it is not advisable to give a vaccination of any type with a steroid treatment. The reason is because steroids are immunosuppressive and can dampen the immune response to a vaccine. When given together, this can compromise the immune system processing the vaccination and lead to a poorer immunity in response to the vaccination. That means that an animal then exposed to the virus they are vaccinated against may have a weaker immune response and be more at risk of catching the virus and becoming infected.

That said, I do have to note that the use of these together would not cause sudden death. Each could do so on its own on rare occasion (ie a sudden allergic reaction to the vaccination itself or a possible stomach perforating ulcer from a high dose of steroids) but giving those 2 together didn't increase the chance of Tigger passing. So, while it is not appropriate from a good medicine point of view to give the 2 together, it would not have been fatal. But an autopsy would be ideal here (and the vaccine company may even pay for it since there is concern of an allergic reaction) to let us know if either of these played a role in his passing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.