Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD TORTI CALICO, FEMALE, WHO HAS STOPPED

Customer Question

I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD TORTI CALICO, FEMALE, WHO HAS STOPPED USING THE LITTER BOX WITHIN THE LAST FEW MONTHS AND LEAVES FECES IN DIFFERENT SPOTS HOW DO I GET HER TO START USING THE LITTER BOXES. SHE HAS A SISTER WHO USES THE LITTER BOX I HAVE 3 BOXES AND THE TORTI USES NONE OF THEM. WHAT CAN I DO TO RECTIFY THIS PROBLKEM, IM AT WITS END., I HAVE ALWAYS HAD CATS AND NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, I Have had her since she was a tiny kitten.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 14 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. That is a very frustrating problem and there are several things that need to be done to help stop the inappropriate elimination. First, I would take her to your local veterinarian for a physical exam, blood work and a urinalysis. Many cats exhibit this behavior because they are not feeling well. I know she is young, but could have something as simple as a urinary tract infection that started the problem. Second, I would use a product called Anti Icky Poo (weird name) to clean the areas where she has soiled to discourage continued use of the site. I use it in my house and have a Zoo. It is the best product that I have ever used. It can be found in some pet stores or online at Amazon.com. And third, I would look at where the litter boxes are located and what type of litter you are using. Cats will develop a surface preference and even though you have had her for a long time, she may no longer like the litter. Please post how many litter boxes you have, where they are located and what type of litter you use. Do you have only two cats?