Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

She hasn't eat in 2 days and just now vomited 2 small pieces

Customer Question

She hasn't eat in 2 days and just now vomited 2 small pieces of ribbon. I think she still may have more in her. should I try giving her hairball medicine?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: My sister was taking care of her and she must have ate the ribbon.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: ICO
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about ICO?
Customer: NO
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that ICO ingested and is now vomiting some ribbon. That certainly can lead to gastrointestinal irritation or an obstruction and that may be why she is reluctant to eat and is vomiting. Ideally at this point because she is vomiting she should see a veterinarian. Ribbon can cause an obstruction or get caught and act like a saw blade as it rubs on the intestinal walls, both of which require emergency surgical intervention.

If you do not have access to veterinary care today there are some things we can try, but if she is not responding promptly I encourage you to look for emergency options.

It is also possible that she may have gotten into something else that has irritated her stomach when she wasn't with you.

At home today to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. You may need to continue these for several days to quiet her stomach irritation. These medications are quite safe and can be used as needed.

I would pick up all food for 24 hours and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle. When you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting.

Tomorrow offer a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he eats for you, you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal to help push things through her intestinal tract just in case she has more ribbon in her intestinal tract. It won't hurt to use Petramalt or Laxatone hairball pastes too to help lubricate things.

If things go well feed her the bland diet mix for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she continues vomit or if she refuses to eat, has a tense painful abdomen, or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) she should see a veterinarian on an emergency basis for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Best of luck with ICO, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your kitty, thank you, ***** *****