Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My new kitten came to me with eye discharge and after two

Customer Question

my new kitten came to me with eye discharge and after two weeks now she still has it but now she grooms herself constantly and shakes her head and she is lethargic what is happening?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: lucy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about lucy?
Customer: only that she doesn't want to play anymore like she did
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Lucy's situation. How old is she? Where did you get her from? Has she been to your vet yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we got her at a kitty sanctuary she was a surprise from my daughter but she isn't the same kitten I got 2 weeks ago she is 5 months and they had her spayed and all shots and no fleas or parasites.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have any minutes on my phone at the moment.

Thank you for that information. Do you feel that she's still wanting to eat and drink (at least some)? Is she able to get up and move around? Is she having any vomiting? If you look into her ears, is there any waxy or dark material there. PLease ignore the "request for a phone call". That is an automatic offering by the system and not myself.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she eats and drinks no vomiting yes she moves around jumps on the bed and up by my computer did not check her ears.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
her ears are clean

That is good that she's eating and drinking and not having any vomiting. It is also good that she's moving around that well. The reason I ask about the ears is that ear mites can be pretty common in situations like this. They can get them from being in that multi-cat environment and then later show signs of them by shaking their head. The classic is if there is black debris there. Some can still have them and just not have that debris yet. So ear mites would be a very curious suspicion here. What would be best to rule this in / out is to have an ear swab done and then the material looked at under the microscope to see if they are there. The eye discharge could be tied into an underlying mild upper respiratory infection. It could also be due to a herpes virus infection which a lot of cats can have.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what will help her

With the upper respiratory infections and the herpes virus infections, typically good nutrition, their immune system and time is needed there. If there are ear mites (despite them looking good at this time), then specific medication for that. The shaking her head has me again suspicious for an ear issue. The best thing that can be done is a quick visit to your vet's office so they can check her over and use a physical exam to help get things more directly figured out. With the fact that she's eating, drinking, being mobile and not vomiting - it doesn't seem like an emergency situation.