Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I found a wound and bald patch under her chin. The hair

Customer Question

I found a wound and bald patch under her chin. The hair looks like it has been shaved nearly leaving some short hair behind and a couple of lentil size wound that looks like what we get when we scratch our elbow on rough surface. Could she hurt herself by jumping up and down or from some kind of body conditions (illnesses?)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding , skin just broke
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Elise, one year old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Elise?
Customer: She is quite healthy and very active. Loves running around a lot and play a lot
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is there any crusting, dander, or pimples in this region?

Has she been itching/scratching this lesion for her?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No she has not been scratching it. No pimples or crusting or pus etc.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now based on the photo, this appears traumatic in origin where the hair looks to have been pulled at the time the grazes occurred. This thankfully doesn't fit with a bacterial or fungal infection. So, it is likely she caught it or a possible cat fight if she has had access to another cat. In any case, since she isn't likely to tell us how this happened, we'd want to just plan to cleanse this area 2 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to just help this heal and settle. But again we'd not be worried about anything sinister here for Elise.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )