Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our cat is sick oldabout 17years,we were out of town guess

Customer Question

our cat is sick oldabout 17years,we were out of town guess the person whom was suppose to come by didnt .When we came home he was lieing on a rrug a bit later my mom held him ,while I held a bowl of water to him he drank it all yesterday and today he started eating .A bit ago he had a seizure i guess ,he been peeing but not the other what can we do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is he still collapsed?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any breathing changes? Any changes to his urination?

Does he have a tender belly or appear to be straining to pass stool?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well this morning mom put him on the floor ,he walded out on his 3 leggs he drank some water ate a little fancy feast cat food now he walking around still very weak he is waiting to see if he goes to the bathroom
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh and his breathing normal scary couple of hours last night acted like he was in bad pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Is he dragging that other leg?

Does it have any movement, feeling, and is it as warm as the others?

Is he straining like he needs to pass stool?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He seems like his 3 legs are working ok just so weak he is eating his food again right now I put a sprink of cat nip in it.Last night he could even have his blanket on him like it hurt him
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He not dragging any legstemp feels same
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you again,

I am glad those three are working fine, but it concerns me that he may be favoring one. Though if the leg is mobile/responsive and not cooler, then we can breathe a sigh of relief that we don't have paralysis from a blood clot lodging in the leg (often very painful for our cats). With that aide, it may just be a strain/muscle damage from the seizure.

In any case, it does sound to be a more minor issue under the circumstances and just sound like he may have been weak and collapsed from dehydration and starvation. In that case, we'd just want to keep feeding small meals (kitten food is a balanced nutrient rich option and canned versions will get more fluids in) and offering fluids over the next 24 hours. For the leg, we can gently warm compress this to reduce any strain/discomfort present. As long as he continues to improve we are happy, but if he remains very sore with this then we'd want to have a full check up at his vet to get him on fluids, kitty safe pain relief, and nutrition support to help him fully recover.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank we will keep a eye on him still hasnt used his bathroom ,but he hates us watching
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome,

As long as he isn't straining, that isn't overly worrisome (its urination that is key). If he had no food, its not likely he will have much to pass. Though you can start daily dosing with OTC cat hairball treatment (you can mix it into his food) to just help keep things moving through the gut and avoid any risk of constipation.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.