Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Salkin, only" --- Cat ear infection My cat Raju 4.5 yrs has

Customer Question

quot;For Dr. Michael Salkin, only" --- Cat ear infectionMy cat Raju 4.5 yrs has black color wax in his left ear. Attached are pics of him as of today.I took Raju to the vet around 2 weeks back. He examine inside his ear using some device but did not see mites. I asked him to take wax sample & examine it under microsocpe for mites but he did not feel the need to do so.His ear wax was removed by using some ear solution & gave him an injection of "Ivermectin". Raju's condition improved however it's back to the same in 2 weeks time. Attached are Raju's ear pics as of today. Let me know what should we do.I've done flea treatment using 'Fiprofort plus' to treat for flea infection. I've been giving these to all my cats for last 2 years now. Could you review the below link for product details.http://www.headsupfortails.com/savavet-fiprofort-plus-for-cats.htmlRegards,
Ashwin
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Ashwin, no pics uploaded. Please try again. The flea product contains fipronil. Many flea populations are now resistant to fipronil but if it's still working for you, keep using it. I prefer one of the newer products such as the over the counter Seresto collar or prescription Activl, Cheristen, Comfortis, or Vectra.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Pics attached

Thank you. Give me a moment to look at them...

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. Forgot to mention that Raju has been itching from his left ear to the eye frequently which has led to redishness, small cuts. You can see the same in the pics.

They appear to be identical pics. The discharge needs to be microscopically checked for mites, bacteria, and yeast and then treated predicated upon what's found. Alternatively, you can wash out the ears again and then treat with an "anti-everything" product such as Tresaderm solution. The ivermectin would have been effective against mites but three treatments are needed every 10-14 days to ensure complete removal from all of his skin. He may be itching in that area because the mites will colonize the facial skin as well as his ears.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Dr. Michael.I'll get Raju 2nd dose of invermectin. What should the dosage be for Raju (5.2 kg)?I'll check for Tresaderm but although I doubt if I'll get it in India. If not, can I give him Promisol (pics attached)?Regards,
AshwinRegards,
Ashwin

Pomisol might smother mites but it's not designed to treat them. Ivermectin is dosed at 0.3 mg/kg subcutaneously.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
His itching has spread to his shoulders (pic attached). Will invermectin help with that too?Any co-relation between his ear & shoulder infection?Regards,
Ashwin

If mites are found there, yes. Other considerations are atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and food intolerance. Atopy is usually treated with a steroid such as prednisone. Food intolerance is addressed with a presumptively hypoallergenic diet. The best are prescription diets from his vet.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Raju has this allergy attacke once in six months....vet gives him Prednisone injection which stresses him out coz of travel and other factor...can I give home Prednisone in tablet firm at home? If so, wht wud be dosage?

Yes, initial dosing of 0.5 mg/kg once daily and then tapering to the smallest effective dose.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Raju. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
GM Dr. michael,Raju was given ivermectin injection (.2ml) on Sunday. Dnt see much of change in his condition although probably too early to judge.How does one know his condition is getting better? I see wax deposited back within 2 weeks of cleaning & after 1st dose of ivermectin.Is there need for 3rd dosage of ivermectin?Below is a video of his ear I took just now.https://youtu.be/JGq2wa4fmeYRegards,
Ashwin
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Should we be worried about the black wax in his ear? Is it bad thing & what does it impact?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for video! Keep in mind that ear mites were never confirmed and so ivermectin may not be helpful. Recurring cerumen (that black wax) can also indicate an allergic dermatitis - both atopy and food intolerance as I mentioned earlier and ears that become reactive due to those allergies will secrete extra wax which then becomes colonized by both yeast and bacteria. I would irrigate his ears and see how Promisol works when administered twice daily as directed on the label.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me try promisol.What should be the dosage ? Will it be a problem if we dnt clean the ear after putting medicine?Reason being, it's very difficult or near impossible to get to clean his ears unless I take him to vet which makes it very stressful fr him.Will Prednisone help instead?

I wouldn't want you to clean the ear after putting in medicine - only prior to the first administration of the Pomisol which is designed to be done twice daily. I generally fill the ear canal with it. If there's still a lot present 12 hours later don't fill the ear up again. Yes, oral prednisolone can be helpful as I posed above timestamped 18 Nov 2016, 12:09PM (my time).