Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat's front leg is swollen, and bleeding right beside the

Customer Question

My cat's front leg is swollen, and bleeding right beside the carpal pad. And he is also limping and there is heat in the paw. What would it be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

If your cat has access to other cats, a bite wound cellulitis/abscess is most likely. If a systemic antibiotic is administered prior to pus accumulating in the bitten area (an abscess) surgical intervention can be avoided. There's a 36 hour window in which the antibiotic can avoid the need for surgery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you there?

Yes, did you see my reply above your "Are you there?"

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think so, do you mean the one where you introduced yourself?

No, this is what I posted after my introduction:

"If your cat has access to other cats, a bite wound cellulitis/abscess is most likely. If a systemic antibiotic is administered prior to pus accumulating in the bitten area (an abscess) surgical intervention can be avoided. There's a 36 hour window in which the antibiotic can avoid the need for surgery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish."

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We have 4 cats outside. There is no puss just bleeding.

Good. There's a good chance that antibiotics can catch this before it abscesses. Do your best to bring him in to his vet at your earliest convenience. Hopefully you can avoid the stress to him and expense to you of anesthesia and surgery. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is a pic

Thank you for the pic! It appears as if an abscess has already formed. You can confirm that by taking his rectal temperature and seeing if it's elevated above 102.5F. That swelling will need to be lanced and flushed under sedation and then a broad spectrum antibiotic administered.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What could this be from?

As mentioned above, a bite wound from another cat is the cause unless proven otherwise.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thank you for your help.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?