Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is having trouble getting used to her new house mate

Customer Question

My cat is having trouble getting used to her new house mate (another female cat) they spend time together feet apart when I'm not home with no hissing or growling at each other ( according to my bfs dad that stays home) when I get home my cat spends most of her time in our bedroom and walking around upstairs, visiting my bfs dad in his room or meowing at me constantly until I go up and spend time with her. I spend 30 min-2 hrs with her. The minute I come down stairs she starts meowing again but won't come all the way down stairs because the other cat is downstairs. My cat hisses and growls from the steps at the cat downstairs and doesn't come any further. The other cat just lays there without making noise. I don't know what to do, I think she's having separation anxiety but I don't know how to fix it
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you had the new cat?
2) Please describe in detail the steps taken to socialize them together.
3) Are you using any medications for either or pheromone diffusers?
4) Can BF's dad catch video of her coming down and interacting with the other cat?