Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat was unconsious and we had to put him to sleep. the

Customer Question

my cat was unconsious and we had to put him to sleep. the vet said there was blood in his stool the day before as he went on the table at the vets he also said he was enemic. he took more blood tests and called me in the a.m. he said there were high counts of calcium and high counts (but not of calcium) in his liver. he collapsed on the floor and was unconscious. Weended up putting him to sleep, I saw holes in my plastic dropcloth in a room where i was painting and am wondering if that could have killed him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help me. How old is me?
Customer: he was put to sleep he was 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about me?
Customer: he had been eating but not like he generally ate (he usually inhaled his food) and he threw up and wasn't as energetic a he usually was
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I am so sorry to hear about your Kitty. It definitely sounded like you were dealing with some serious issues. There are a lot of things that can cause anemia in cats. If he was extremely anemic, they can actually compensate very well for that if the anemia has been gradual. That allows their body time to compensate. At some point, their body will completely decompensate, making it look like they are all of a sudden sick, when it has really been building up for a long time. If the anemia was regenerative (the bone marrow was actively producing new red blood cells to compensate), that usually means it was either due to blood loss, a blood parasite or blood cell destruction by the immune system. If it wasn't regenerative, then it can literally be from many different things. It is possible he had been losing microscopic amounts of blood in his stool for a while, causing the anemia. If that was the case, I would be concerned about a tumor in the GI tract or abdomen. A tumor in the abdomen can all of a sudden rupture, causing them to bleed out quickly. The high calcium values are very suggestive of some type of cancer, and it could have been related to the liver. It is unlikely due to eating anything related to the drop cloth. That may have caused some other problems, but his history is just not that consistent to it. Unfortunately, your vet would probably have to do an autopsy to evaluate his tissues and send samples in to the lab to get a definitive diagnosis on the cause of death. Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John