Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

He has started to scoot his on the carpet like rubbing it

Customer Question

he has started to scoot his butt on the carpet like rubbing it has become alittle bit of a winer the last couple of days and has hissed at me twice this morning not normal is eating ok and looks ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: spanky not quite sure but alittle under 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about spanky?
Customer: no 1 of 3 the newest one about 9 months now very very playful the two older don't care much for him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Although many vets would immediately assume that Spanky's anal sac glands are infected/impacted, the most common cause of his scooting is anusitis and perianal inflammation due to an allergic dermatitis - atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) - or food intolerance. For now, you can rub a liberal amount of an over the counter hydrocortisone cream thrice daily on to and around his anus which might suffice to normalize him. Severely affected cats can be treated with a systemic glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone. Have Spanky's vet express Spanky's anal glands to assess for infection/impaction but if not found, consider treatment with either the cream, systemic steroid, or both.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.