Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat got into my dogs heart worm medications my Dog is a

Customer Question

My cat got into my dogs heart worm medications my Dog is a 85lbs German shepherd. I suspect my cat ate anywhere between 1-5 pills. The brand was tri-heart plus. He threw up last night and today is extremely lathargic. Laying down next to his liter box and moving very slowly some interest in food but not his normal self. Shluld I be concerned?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long ago did Spunkerz eat this medication?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
He is about 10 lbs

The good news is that this medication has a very high tolerance rate in cats. Cats, in general, for heartworm prevention receive 4x as much medication as dogs do.

The main concern we would have here is the ivermectin. Pyrantel, the other active ingredient in this medication, doesn't usually cause major symptoms but we could expect to see vomiting and diarrhea over the next few days.

Ivermectin acute toxicity info states that adult cats receiving at least 750 mcg/kg at one time show no effects of illness. For this, your cat would need to consume almost 3500mcg of the medication or, roughly, 12.5 tablets as the concentration of ivermectin in these tablets comes to 272mcg of ivermectin. With this, Spunkerz has only had half of a dosage that we already know to be safe for cats. Do keep an eye out for any signs of drunken walking, dilated eyes, acute onset blindness, seizures, tremors and vomiting/diarrhea. If any of them arise, please have your companion examined promptly by a vet open at that time.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
He just seems lathargic. He just lays down. I set him in a cat bed last night at 8pm and woke up with morning and he hasn't moved at all. He's usually very playful. No dilated eyes. He won't walk so I wouldn't know if he was Drunk walking.

I think it's very likely that he's suffering from a profound GI upset and I would certainly consider a physical exam by a vet with the behavior.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing?