Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My 11 year old cat is leaving little piles of poop on the

Customer Question

My 11 year old cat is leaving little piles of poop on the garage floor. She stays in the garage while we are at work and comes inside when we get home. Her anal area looks sore and she has lost some of the fur around that area. We have given her pumpkin to help, but nothing seems to work.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Yes, she has always used her litter box. This has just started within the last 3-4 months. We have taken her to the vet and she has not worms or other ailments. Blood and fecal tests reveal nothing.
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Moose
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Moose?
Customer: She is up to date on all shots. I don't know if this might just be something to do with her age or if something might be wrong. We also feed her iVet Healthy Gourmet. Not cheap food.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 6 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Moose. In an older cat with normal bloodwork and fecal tests, a possible problem would be intestinal disease, such as inflammatory bowel disease. IBD in cats can cause weight loss, vomiting, anorexia, or diarrhea, in any combination.

Sometimes, adding in a probiotic can help. There are some available for cats that you can obtain over the counter (such as Amazon) or there is one called Fortiflora your vet should be able to prescribe.

This condition often responds to a diet change, such as a limited ingredient diet. Natural Balance is a brand that makes some good limited ingredient diets, such as venison and pea. A limited ingredient diet can help decrease inflammation in the intestines.

In addition to probiotics and dietary changes, intestinal disease in cats often is very responsive to oral steroids, so you may want to inquire to your veterinarian about this.

Providing multiple litter boxes and scooping them often may also help. It may be uncomfortable for her when she defecates, and sometimes they associate that with the box, so giving her options may help.

Please post back with further questions,

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have checked all of your suggestions with our vet. She is overweight. The vet suggested the food she is on and we have tried keeping the litter box lean for her. I think I will just have to take her in again to our vet.

It might be a good idea to talk to your veterinarian about some oral medication, such as Metronidazole (an antibiotic that has anti inflammatory properties for the colon). That may help while you find a different diet, if you want to go that route. It sounds like she is on a great food, but sometimes changing to a type of protein that they've never had before can help (like venison or rabbit).

Another suggestion might be to try a Feliway diffuser, which is a pheramone that decreases anxiety in cats. We often use these when dealing with cats that eliminate outside of the box.

I agree, another trip to the vet may be in order for Moose. Please let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Snow