Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Customer Question

My name is Carol
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** I will be be buying a kitten tomorrow that is only 7 weeks old to young I think for a kitten to be away from it's mother but I do want the kitten & they are wanting to adopt it out. So my concern is how & what to feed him so I am checking the internet for answers. I do see that premix is used with meat so how do I mix the 2 together? I am looking at using raw meat & what ever else to feed him to have a proper diet.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 25 days ago.

Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I agree that seven weeks old is too young for the kitten to be away from his/her mother and ideally they could do with keeping the two of them together (provided the kitten is feeding from the mother still) for a couple more weeks. However, if they are desperate to sell the kitten early then at least with you you will be able to give the little one what he or she needs. I do have some concerns about feeding pets raw food - cats do have very specific requirements for growth, and I have actually seen kittens with pathological fractures (where their bones break because they are just too thin and fragile due to the incorrect diet when growing) where the breeder had them on a raw meat diet - the calcium was lacking. I think that in the long-run, when the kitten is on 'proper' cat food a wet food diet is best - when I first graduated (which was over ten years ago!) the recommended food was dried food for all cats. Now things are swinging the other way and we are recommending a wet food diet for cats as this greatly reduces their chances of kidney and bladder problems later on. However, when the little one is this young I think that the Royal Canin diet, Babycat (ridiculous name, but it works!) is a good one - this is a dried food but you mix water with it to make a slush. You can get it online or from petshops - you don't need to get it from a vet. It is appealing to kittens and gives them everything they need to grow correctly. When he/she is four months old I would wean her onto a wet kitten food (any except whiskas) so tins or pouches, and then transfer onto an adult cat once they are grown (so about a year old).

I hope this helps - if you have any questions from this or need clarification then please get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave me a positive rating. Thank you, ***** ***** luck with your new little one, Rosie.