Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

How are you, I have a cat and her gums are very red, her two

Hi, how are you
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: I have a cat and her gums are very red, her two tusks are red
JA: What seems to be the problem?
Customer: and she is not eating as she used to
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mamimi and her age 8 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Mamimi?
Customer: I can see she has lost weight and when she tries to eat looks like the food get stuck in her mouth

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

So cats can develop pretty red gums from round gingivitis, but this sounds more severe than that. Sometimes cats get something called plasmatic stomatitis. This is a pretty uncomfortable gum disease. They usually have very red gums that are often recessed (leading to food getting stuck). They typically have a bad smell to their breath and often have pain and or drooling. The pain leads to less eating and weight loss. This may be what is going on with your cat.

If you cat has stomatitis then she will need to see a veterinarian. They really need to be sedated and have their mouth evaluated and any damaged teeth removed. The teeth harbor bacteria in the gap between the tooth and gum and make the gum disease much worse. Often these cats loose most/all of their teeth. Antibiotics to reduce the bacteria load in the mouth and steroids to stop the inflammation are also very helpful. Your veterinarian would also be able to test for an rule out other possible causes of an inflamed mouth.... such as kidney disease or the felv virus.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much

Best wishes!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy