Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
96382098

We were in someone's home with a cat. We saw the cat

Customer Question

Hi. We were in someone's home with a cat. We saw the cat scratching alot. We came home and saw quite a few tiny black bugs on our lower body area, like below the knees. It seemed like the bugs bounce I am very concerned
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Its not my cat It was in someone home we were visiting When we came home we noticed these bugs on us What can it be
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

Hi there my name is***** and I can help you.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

This sounds like fleas. Was the cat you were watching itchy or had hair loss? Does the cat go outdoors? Are there other pets in the house?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cat did not have hair loss. We were visiting someone who owned a cat. When we came home we noticed tiny black bugs on us. What can it be and what should we do. We are not an owner if the cat. I washed all our clothing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

This is what a flea looks like.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

There is a time delay between us:)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's it. What should I do.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

I will answer your questions but first do you have any pets?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have pets back home in Nj. I am currently visiting in florida and I do not have my pets with me. The bugs were on our bodies of my son, husband and myself
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello. R u still there
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

Fleas do not use us as a host so there is not a large concern. Washing the clothes you wore in hot water, vacuuming furniture, and cleaning floors is enough. They will not flourish as they prefer dogs and cats to live on. If you are itchy, I would treat myself like I would any other bug bite. Do you have any more questions for me?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can they live on clothing, yarn, luggage?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

They can not live for a long period of time on clothes yarn luggage without a blood meal. If they lay eggs they may hatch when you get home. As long as your pets are on prevention you will not have a large outbreak. WAsh your clothes and clean/vacuum your luggage. Any more questions?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

Very good and again no concerns. A five star rating is appreciated and it is the only this site credits me for helping you. Good luck and I'm sorry you were exposed to this.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Lori