Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I am moving to Taiwan and need to bring my cat with me. I

Customer Question

Hi,I am moving to Taiwan and need to bring my cat with me. I need to find out whether it is safe for a cat to be on a 16 hour flight and if he needs to be sedated Etc.Thank you
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 25 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have providedregarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has your cat travelled anywhere before on a plan or had any long rides in a car?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I've traveled with him by car for 5 hours several times but he's never traveled by plane.

How did he do when he traveled in the car? If he did well during that trip he will not likely need a sedative to travel if he does not have the problem of becoming anxious. There are also things you can do to help him relax without a sedative such as putting cat nip in his carrier and using a calming pheromone such as Feliway