Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

My cat seems to have a little irration in his eye. Can I use

Customer Question

Hello, my cat seems to have a little irration in his eye. Can I use a solution of perioxide and water to clean it?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 19 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Max's troubles. As long as the eyeball itself looks okay and the irritation is just in the tissue surrounding the eye, you can flush it with saline solution 3-4 times a day. You can then apply triple antibiotic ointment. The thickness of the ointment makes vision blurry for a little while, so he might not like it, but it will clear after several blinks.

Peroxide can be very irritating to tissue, so it is best to use a saline solution to flush the eye and then wipe the outside with a warm, moist cloth.

If the eyeball itself appear red, cloudy or painful, it would be time to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!