Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My cat is lethargic, had diarrhea and isn't really eating.

Customer Question

My cat is lethargic, had diarrhea and isn't really eating. Acting really odd. I've only noticed it today but he was sleeping more than usual yesterday. what more can I do to tell if he is really sick and if I should bring him to a vet now or can wait?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you noting any blood in the diarrhea? Are you able to take a look at his gums ? Are they pink as far as you can tell?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I changed the litter box first thing this morning and noticed the diarrhea. I didn't see blood and he hasn't popped or peed since I've changed it. He won't really open his mouth. It almost looks black like. But I'm not sure if that just his lips.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I recently changed his litter too.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To a different brand that is

Okay thanks for the additional information. When was the last time he ate a full meal? With him being an older cat I would be concerned that he has either something going on with this intestinal system which may be a sensitivity to something he ate or something more serious going on with his kidneys or something else.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He had a couple of bites of food twice today. He wouldn't even eat a treat when I tried to give it to him.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't changed his food or anything.

How is his breathing? Whether you should take him to a vet or not depends on how lethargic he is. If he is not really moving around much at all I would recommend having him check out just to make sure he doesn't have anything serious going on. They may want to do bloodwork to rule out any thing obvious like kidney failure or thyroid disease, or even diabetes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He seems to be breathing normally. And he did walk around a little before. But he's just laying on the ground. Normally if there is a loud noise he will jump or if you wal by him he'll move and he's just Laying in the same spot.

Would you be able to take him to the veterinarian first thing in the morning? I would be concerned if his breathing changed or if he started vomting or gets more lethargic. All those things would require an emergency veterinarian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can bring him in the morning. Since his breathing is ok. And he still responds when I call him...he should be okay until then?

As long as nothing has changed from his current status he should be okay. But if he seems more lethargic or starts to vomiting or any other strange behavior I would recommend a emergency veterinarian. Does he seem warm to the touch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He does seem warm to the touch.

Does he spend any time outdoors? If he is warm to the touch I would be concerned about a fever as well. If he does have a fever than I would be concerned as well. If you have an ear thermometer you could take his temperature otherwise you may not want to wait until tomorrow just in case there is a fever that needs to be treated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He doesn't go outside at all.

Okay then it is unlikely he has some type of wound that may have caused an infection. So I would more suspect something going on internally that is causing him to be lethargic. So he may likely need to have bloodwork done to help diagnose the issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I guess I'll just have to watch him tonight and bring him in the morning.

Okay let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. If he gets worse then make sure you take him in sooner