Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

My senior cat has chronic diarrhea, gas and major weight

Customer Question

my senior cat has chronic diarrhea, gas and major weight loss.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Beatrice, 15 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Beatrice?
Customer: Not in particular. Otherwise her health in general is good and her "mind" I suppose you would say is good and she engages well.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 27 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Beatrice and I hope I can help. There are many things that can cause this. Have you had her feces checked for parasites and have you dewormed her? There is a drug called Panacur that is a very good dewormer that I would suggest. Also, have you done any blood testing? There are many metabolic diseases that can cause diarrhea and weight loss in an older cat especially thyroid disease. In particular cats get hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid gland that can cause weight loss even in the face of a good appetite. Cats also get something called inflammatory bowel disease which causes thickening of the intestines and decreased absorption of food and nutrients. This is difficult to diagnose without and ultrasound or intestinal biopsies but often responds well to a special hypoallergenic diet, antibiotics, probiotics and sometimes steroids. Unfortunately some older cats can also get lymphoma or cancer of the intestinal tract that can cause diarrhea. I highly suggest taking her to the veterinarian for a check up and workup with bloodwork and xrays to start. Starting on an antibiotic like Metronidazole and probiotic like Fortiflora and an intestinal diet would be a good starting place. Let me know if I can be of any more help. Thanks

My goal is to make sure that you get all your questions answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thank you

Are you able to view my answer?