Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Male indoor cat healthy 5 years old, 11 lbs. A week ago

Customer Question

Male indoor cat healthy 5 years old, 11 lbs. A week ago symptoms of a lot of sleep more than usual, followed by loss of appetite, lack of movement, glossy, tired eyes. Bowel movments somewhat normal due to lack of eating.
Took to my vet... blood tests, x-rays, temp, ultrasound, normal. They administered IV fluids for dehydration, gave antibiotic injection for possible upper respitory virus and made notations of possible Pancreatitis after preview of ultrasound. After 2 day under vet care, they let me take him home. Within being home for 2 hours he ate moist food and I was optimistic that he was on the road to recovery. I stayed with him and monitored him carefully. The next 12 hours his condidtion worsened dramatically. Eyes squinted, he began to walk slowly (cautiously) in circles aimlessly. Crouching position into corners and under furniture. Stepping in food bowl walking into walls felling his way with wiskers and urinating on floor. (Never ever did anything like this before). He appeard to be losing his eyesite. Became lothogic and weak. Took him back to vet. After simple motor skills testing, (paw to table and sensory tests (failed all) blood pressure test ok, they put him back on IV fluids. It was as if the lights are on but noone is home. Internally, heart, lungs, etc...appeard normal. They are uncertain what is causing him to behave such...but something is definately going on. Vet suggested it maybe neurological. I have to make appointment to take him for CAT scan of his brain. I am nervous of the costs involved but I love him and want to know what is happening to him? In your experience, have you ever encountered such a illness? Any information at this time will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Hi Chris,

I am sorry Spencer is so ill.

Check for a middle ear infection causing Vestibular syndrome. This is often mistaken for a stroke or neuro issue:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

If that is the case, it can be treated with 13.5 mg of dramamine and antibiotics:
http://www.dramamine.com/

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Spencer. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty