Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat had a feline leukemia shot on Tuesday. She was fine

Customer Question

My cat had a feline leukemia shot on Tuesday. She was fine until 2 days ago. She stopped talking to me 2 days ago and moving very slowly. Not eating or drinking. Could that shot be responsible.? Thanks
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: She's also throwing up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. She has been mostly in the house or my courtyard. There is a feral cat I have been feeding for 3 months
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Ginger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: No I think that's it. I am a volunteer at the MD SPCA but I always take my clothes off when I get home and take a shower thanks
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

A vaccine could certainly have caused her to move slowly and avoid eating and drinking. I can give you some steps to help with the vomiting but if she's still like this tomorrow she needs to see your vet. If she worsens, have her examined sooner, at the ER if needed. If she has not been eating for a full 2-3 days now, I would recommend an exam today.

To help with nausea you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

.