Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat has had blood test etc and it all came back good

Customer Question

Hi so my cat has had blood test etc and it all came back good except for the thyroid. She has hyperthyroid. She is on medicine for it daily. So here is my situation. She had had teeth removed and since then she throws up more just liquid not food and ive always thought she had reflux. everyday she is spitting up liquid only but good thing since the teeth is now eatimg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: It seems when she eats it irritating to swallow
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: no same food, she lost weight and we believed teeth issues.. she had some that needed to be extracted which we did and now she is eating again but she constantly makes like a swallowing noise maybe li liquid is coming up
JA: How old is .?
Customer: and she doesn't want to lay on her sides like before, lays in an upright position always as if something is gonna come up 13
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about .?
Customer: no they know everything ive told you and her blood work was 3 weeks ago
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry your kitty is experiencing this problem.

It's possible that she does have acid reflux or just excess acid in her stomach, that is causing nausea and then causing her to throw up. If she has acid reflux, the acid coming up into her throat is burning her esophagus and her throat, so that may be why she's swallowing hard when she eats. You can try to give her 1/4 tablet of a 10mg. Pepcid AC (generic is Famotidine) about 30 minutes before her breakfast and see if this helps; it should control the acid. Here is more information:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

-----------------

Always check with your vet before giving any over the counter medications.

Since she's hyperthyroid, it's possible that she has swelling of the thyroid or a tumor on the thyroid, and due to it's location near the throat, it could be pressing on her esophagus when she swallows, causing discomfort. Ask your vet if some imaging (x-ray, etc.) could be done, to determine if this is the case.

It also may be possible that her dosage of thyroid medication needs to be adjusted, so her levels should be checked with another thyroid blood panel.

If she no longer lays on her sides, she must be feeling pain or discomfort, so the vet can feel for any abnormalities and/or do imaging of these areas, as well.

She should be eating high quality wet food (smooth, paté food only--no chunks, shreds or slices) and no dry, because she had the teeth extracted and also, it will bother her more, when she swallows. In addition, the food she's eating now may contain allergens that are causing the throwing up. Corn, soy, wheat, gluten, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives are common allergens to cats. Some cats are also allergic to the protein source (meat/fish) in some foods. Some companies make limited ingredient diets, which contain novel proteins and carbohydrates like duck, venison, green pea, brown rice, etc. Royal Canin, Natural Balance and Blue (L.I.D), in addition to others, make these kinds of foods. Feeding a grain-free food is also healthier. Here is an article written by a feline veterinarian, about the best way to feed our cats:

http://catinfo.org/

---------

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

Just checking in with you to see how your furry girl is doing. Were you able to have her seen in person by the vet? If so, what were you told? Did they check her thyroid levels again?

Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher