Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My female cat Matahari only pees and once every 3 days or

Customer Question

My female cat Matahari only pees and poops once every 3 days or so. I'm worried about her, but I took her into the vet and her blood work and urine sample came out normal. Waht might this be caused by adn what shodul I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Matahari?
Customer: She is 16 years old, has some arthritis and sometimes after she pees (which is a lot of pee since it's only once every 3 days) she gets one of her hind paws dipped in it and then seems embarrased about it. She comes to me meowing to help get here cleaned off. She had a radio-active iodine treatment for her thyroid tumors last year and it was a total success. Any ideas?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 29 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I am willing to bet that she is urinating somewhere else. Urinating once every 3 days is not compatible with life. That would either mean that she is in acute renal failure or has some type of obstruction of urine flowing out of the bladder, neither which they can live with for 3 days, much less have normal blood work. I would get a black light and check around your house, especially behind furniture. She has to have urinated elsewhere. The defecation every 3 days is possible. She may have a condition called megacolon, where the colon doesn't move very well, and she gets constipated. I would have your vet get an x-ray of the abdomen to confirm that. If her stool seems very firm or hard, I would put her on a stool softener. If not that firm or hard, I would just try adding some fiber to her diet. A teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin with each meal should do it. If still not helping, I would talk to your vet about putting her on Cisapride to help improve intestinal motility. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 26 days ago.
Hi Juliet,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 25 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Matahari is doing and to see if you have any further questions.