Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has stoped eating and drinking, very weak. prior to

Customer Question

my cat has stoped eating and drinking, very weak. prior to this she could not hold her bladder.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ripley age 4 years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ripley?
Customer: I need to know how to keep her alive until I can find a free clinic, I dont have money. This cat is all I have and she has been my companion and I love h er very much please help
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 26 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is she indoors only?

Was there any trauma?

When did she stop eating?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
she is indoors only. No trauma. She stopped eating day and a half ago. I went to the pharmacy and got a syringe without the needle and just gave her some cat milk. She is so week she cannot hold her head up.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I don't have any money to spend this is the reason I came to just anwnsers cause they said it would be $5 dollars. If I had money I would of taken her to the ER.

Im not sure what prompts you're seeing on your end of the computer, JACustomer, but I have no control over them.

Are you using kitten milk replacer for her or pasteurized milk intended for human consumption?

Is she willing to swallow?

Is she otherwise alert?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Sorry, did not mean to come off like as if you were the one asking for the money, yes there pop ups and I know it is not you that controls them, in any case I apologize. I spoke to the pharmacist and she recommended milk for cat consumption and that is what I gave her. Yes I can still get her to swallow, but just barley. It took a while just to get her to drink a syringe full. I also bought high end cat pate and will mix it with luke warm water, put it in syringe and see if she can get that down. I wish I had the money to get her to a vet and get her on an IV and get blood tests but they want a fortune.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
She is not alert, very weak, she put her head down now

You're doing the right thing right now by keeping fluids and calories up. This will help to prevent dehydration and her liver failing before she can be examined. She can be given a few mLs of fluid and food every 2-4 hours around the clock. Err on the side of caution with volume if she is not swallowing well. You can blend the pate food with cat milk or water to help get it into a syringe. I would also try using pureed baby food in chicken or turkey flavors. These are usually easy to get into and out of a syringe--pate cat food? Not so much unless blended.

I am very concerned that she may not make it to a point of being examined, however.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
This is also my concern that she wont make it till I can find a free or low cost vet.Me and this cat have gone through a lot together, she is part of me and I feel profoundly sad.

Im so very sorry. Luckily, she's still hanging in there so all hope is not lost.

This link may be of some assistance in finding more affordable or subsidized vet care:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I wish that I could let her have some of my life force. Yes as long as she breaths there is hope I must stay positive. Thank You

Certainly.