Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

4 month old kitten may have ingested steel wool, JoJo, She's

Customer Question

4 month old kitten may have ingested steel wool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: JoJo
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about JoJo?
Customer: She's running around fine. I found the small wad by her as she was trying to throw up. nothing came up so I don't know if she ate some or just got rust dust. Seems fine now. I'm thinking hairball remedy to help coat her insides
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

It is always concerning when a pet possibly eats something that they shouldn't. How much concern we should have is entirely dependent on how much they ate, how big of a piece they swallowed. Often there is no way to know this. The still wool is obviously not digestible and it shouldn't be toxic (unless it is one that has cleaning solutions in it). I think that starting her on something like hairball remedy to keep things moving though her intestines is a good place to start. Probably the most important thing to do is to monitor her closely. The first sign of abdominal pain, distention or vomiting warrants a trip to the veterinarian for an xray. Steel wool should show up so you can tell how much she ate and if it looks like a large enough piece to cause a problem.

Just don't wait if you see any problems, delaying treatment if becomes stuck or happens to cause damage to the bowel can be life threatening.

Best wishes. If you have more questions please let me know If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you Dr. Stacy. We're giving her some now and will keep a close eye on her. I appreciate your help!
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 21 days ago.

Best wishes!