Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has bad sinus problem. can I use Duramycin for this?

Customer Question

my cat has bad sinus problem. can I use Duramycin for this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: sinus congestion, and sneezing
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tuffy is 6 yrs. old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tuffy?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Duramycin, which is oxytetracycline, is not well tolerated in cats and likely best avoided for health reasons. As well, if you're using the injectable duramycin, giving this IM or SQ is not advisable in cats due to localized injection site necrosis witnessed in some animals.

Due to the manufacturer's warnings, I would not recommend using this particular antibiotic for Tuffy.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion? Do you need any additional assistance?