Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My cat has been vomiting for 24 hours now. He's a maine

Customer Question

My cat has been vomiting for 24 hours now. He's a maine coon. Every time he eats, he vomits it up. Should I take him to an emergency vet? Thank you! 😊
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help wit your question.

So vomiting is a pretty nonspecific sign so it could be something serious or something minor, even a hairball. The criteria that I use to help me decide if it is serious or urgent may help you decide if you should go to an emergency vet...

Is he drinking water? Does he hold that down? If he can't hold down water I would take him to an emergency vet.

Is he lethargic? Is he pale? Is his abdomen distended or painful.... try gently pushing on his belly. If he is lethargic, has a painful or distended belly, or has pale gums then I would take him to an emergency vet.

How frequent is the vomiting? If he has vomited more than 5 times in the last 12 hours then I would take him.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 27 days ago.

If he is generally feeling good an has just vomiting a few times then I think you can give it a bit of time. You can pick up his cat food so he doesn't over eat and offer him just small amounts at a time to see if he will hold that down. You can even offer a little chicken meat... they like it and it is easier to digest than cat food. Obviously if he is getting worse they you would still need to get him checked out.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions, just ask. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you very much for your super fast reply. I will take him to an emergency vet.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 27 days ago.

Best wishes!

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Can I give him a human anti-nausea medicine? (Phenergan).
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He's not acting lethargic or even appears to be sick. If his tummy hurt, would he be meowing?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 27 days ago.

The only human medication I would feel comfortable giving is Pepcid A/C. 1/2 of a 10mg tablet. If his tummy hurts I would expect him to be reluctant to move and try to pull away if you press on it gently.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He's walking around as usual so I guess his tummy doesn't hurt. Thank you again for your fast response!
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 27 days ago.

I hope he feels better soon!