Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have an stray/outdoor kitten that now comes inside to eat

Customer Question

we have an stray/outdoor kitten that now comes inside to eat only. Last night i noticed he was wet around his rear area. Tonight it looked like he was sitting in clear discharge.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the stray kitten?
Customer: He has not vomitted, that we know of, as he spends most time outside.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the stray kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: Hard to say, he eats dinner and breakfast inside, then goes back outside. so don't know if he ate something outside.
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Kitten….his name is kitten
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about kitten?
Customer: He was neutered and vetted at a stray clinic.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am sorry to see that you haven't heard back from us sooner. How is your companion doing this morning?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He has not come inside yet this morning to eat. So I don't know if there's any change.

Please let me know and, if possible, take a few pictures so that I can see what you are seeing.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
He did come in. Still clear discharge. He seems to be grooming/linking around his penis. As he is still semi feral, he won't let me touch him to examine him, or get close enough to get any clear photo.

How old is he?

Can you tell if there is any blood?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Probably just about 1 yr. No blood, seems totally clear. Looks like consistency of when a dog throws up after drinking too much water. I initially thought it was from throw up, but he has not thrown up.

My concern is a urinary tract infection or even a blockage (a UTI can develop into a blockage quickly). The fact that he is eating well is a good sign. If this is a blockage, he's going to go downhill pretty quickly as far as his health. In many cases that takes place in just as little as a few hours.

Is there any option of keeping him inside today for monitoring?

If you cannot get him to a vet, contacting a mobile vet is probably going to be your best option.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 26 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing? Do you need more assistance?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Still discharge, but volume seems lessened. Just prior to this, the cat did not show up for almost 2 days, so I think something happened to him, and he seems to be improving slightly. Like I said he is stray/deal. So I can't pick him up to go to vet

I'm glad to hear he is improving.

I read your comment about not being able to pick him up, this is why I recommended a mobile vet. They come to you instead of you going to them. This keeps you from having to do the hard part and leaves that job to the professionals. I think this may be your best bet for having him examined.